Application deadline 17 October 2022
Salary: £40,000 p/a
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: London / flexible (see further details below)
Application deadline: 9am, 17 October 2022
We are recruiting a Business Development Manager to help drive The Social Change Agency’s vision by supporting the delivery of our business development strategy. This is a newly created position as we focus more on how we can grow the profitability of the business and diversify our client base. This is an exciting opportunity to make a big impact in our small friendly team and on the business itself.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead and improve all aspects of the Business Development pipeline.
- Work with our senior leadership team and Marketing Manager to contribute to business development strategy.
- Identify and secure new business opportunities.
- Develop and maintain the Business Development pipeline.
- Produce high quality financial models, tender proposals and pitch documents.
- Produce forecast revenue figures for new and existing projects.
- Monitor budgets and spend, producing business cases where appropriate.
- Work across the organisation to provide insight to project data and impact.
- Develop strategies for client management and engagement.
- Design and maintain appropriate client reporting schedules.
- Ensure optimal client account management taking into account operational relationships, value and risk management.
- Negotiate contractual terms
Skills and experience
You’re able to demonstrate experience of, or aptitude for, much of the following:
- Interest in and commitment to our mission and values as an organisation.
- Ability to analyse business development-related insights and data and make recommendations.
- Good analytic and strategic awareness, able to weigh competing concerns effectively and to provide leadership to others in line with our values and priorities.
- Confident in coordinating complex workstrands, including working across different teams and disciplines.
- Ability to plan and coordinate resources on a short and long term basis across a diverse portfolio.
We are interested in hearing from candidates with:
- Strong numeracy and financial modelling skills to inform business decisions.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and coherent way, tailoring messaging to the audience.
- Outstanding customer service skills – both proactive and reactive, trustworthy, reliable and relevant.
- An understanding of marketing and sales techniques.
- Capability to anticipate / demonstrate the likely risks and returns of investments / projects.
- Appreciation of and commitment to fostering team spirit, high standards and open communication.
- Ability to self-motivate, to manage your own time and to work on your own initiative.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Terms and benefits
Terms: The role will be full-time (37.5 hours/week) permanent contract – we will consider well-structured JobShare applications. As we often work with volunteers occasional evening and weekend work will be required and compensated through TOIL. Occasional but limited UK or European travel will be required (by arrangement).
We are open to exploring flexible working arrangements and supporting you to meet commitments you may have.
Reporting to: CEO
Salary: £40,000 p/a
Location: You must be based inside the UK. We have an office in Kings Cross, London which London-based staff try to be in at least 3 times a week, but if you are based out of London you will be home based. If you are home-based you will have an allowance for equipment to ensure that your space is fit for purpose.
We hold quarterly all-staff strategy meetings and annual away days which you will be required to attend in person which we will cover the cost of your travel. You will be required to travel to clients when requested, the cost of travel will be covered. You will be required to come together with the team occasionally and these travel costs will not be covered, we try our best to keep these to when only necessary.
Language skills & visa status: Candidates must be fluent in English. You must have the right to work in the UK independently, as we are unable to provide visa sponsorship.
Holiday: 22 days plus bank holidays. We close the office in the days between Christmas and New Years – this time is paid for all staff and is in addition to your annual leave entitlement.
Employer pension contribution: We offer a 3% employer pension contribution, that you will auto enrol for after 3 months of employment with SCA.
Additional Paid Time Off: We offer 2 days of paid voluntary time off, encouraging all staff to serve as trustees or any equivalent voluntary positions to contribute to their communities
Health Assured Service: The health and wellbeing of our staff is very important to us. We offer all of our staff access to the Health Assured wellbeing service, which offers a 24 hour support line, structured counselling with external support, and a bank of online resources such as webinars and articles tailored towards health and wellbeing for both you and the members of your family.
Start Date: As soon as possible
On the 27 September we held a webinar to share more about what we do, what roles we’re hiring for and also to answer your questions. You can find the recording of that webinar here.
To apply please fill out this application form. Please note that CVs, cover letters, and/or copies of the question outline will not be considered. You can also view the questions and draft your answers here before submitting it through the Google Form.
Applications will close at: 9am on 17 October. First interviews will be held on 25 October and second interviews will be held on 28 October.
We strongly encourage applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds. We are committed to our staff representing the wide variety of backgrounds represented in the communities we work with. If you are concerned that you may not fit 100% of the job specification – please throw your hat in the ring. We never put formal education requirements on any role as we value lived experiences as highly as formal education and training qualifications.
We follow a blind recruitment process, which means that hiring managers for the role can only see your work history and answers to application questions when deciding to progress to the interview stage.
If you need any accessibility accommodations for this application please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or by calling 0333 200 5837 and we will be happy to provide you with those accommodations.
About The Social Change Agency
The Social Change Agency comprises a team that are experts in creating social impact using social innovation, peer networks, community organising, collaboration and systemic and organisational change approaches. We provide strategic consulting, communications expertise, training and programme design to create social impact. We combine tried and tested approaches with cutting edge tools and perspectives that often result in original programmes and services that break through long standing challenges. What do we do best? Creating bespoke, blended solutions so the organisations we work with can change the world.
Our exciting range of clients include The National Lottery Community Fund, The Football Association, Youth Futures Foundation, Climate-KIC, Guy’s and St Thomas Charity, the Greater London Authority (GLA), King’s College London and the Lloyds Bank Foundation among many others. In addition to our client work, we train the next generation of movement and network builders – our training and events attract some of the brightest and best social changemakers.
We incubate, build and support social movements like the Young Trustees Movement, Parents for the Future, and much of the mutual aid movement in the UK. We have brought innovative products to market, such as The Movement Building Canvas and Lost Voices. In 2020, we created, incubated and spun out The Social Change Nest CIC – which provides fiscal support to social movements and networks across the UK whilst also providing funding and grant management. The Social Change Agency and the Social Change Nest CIC form a unified crucial space for supporting social change agents through our work.
We are proud of our culture. Underpinned by our values of curiosity, courage, creativity and collaboration. We believe relationships are the glue that holds us all together. It helps us create the most innovative work with our clients and gets us through the most difficult times together – we know that transformational social change is generational work and we must look after ourselves and each other for the long haul. We understand that working makes up a significant part of our lives and we want to make sure that our time spent working is productive, enriching, and joyful.
You’ll be joining a close-knit team – supported and developed to be the best you can be. We believe that every member of our team brings a unique perspective from their experiences and abilities and encourage everyone to be a curious soul about how we can improve everything we do, from how we interact as a team to how we deliver for our clients and communities.
We live our values and have been certified as a BCorp business, Disability Confident Employer, and an accredited Living Wage Employer. In addition we were listed as one of the top social enterprises in the UK in the SE100.